Monday, November 3, 2014

Accommodation in the workplace (part 1)

If you have a disability, some companies tend to notice your limitations first. They might need more reminders or time to see what your strengths are.  A company might have concerns and could benefit from extra support when they hire someone with a disability.

In each of my work experiences, there were different issues to resolve.  Employers have asked me a variety of questions and have made comments over the years.  For example:

Q: How will you get around the office or store in your wheelchair?

A: I can't always.  Sometimes there will be places I can't access but I can work with those limitations.  For instance, at the bookstore, I couldn't get up to the top floor to shelve the books, but I could still check them against the inventory so someone else had one less step to do.

At my last job, I needed to use the back door to enter and leave. The front door had a step going up but I was okay taking the back door.  It would be nice if every building was accessible but I realize that those improvements are expensive.  My office needed to make arrangements about the best location for me to work.  

Consider re-arranging the existing company layout to make it more spacious and accessible.  Not only will any employee with a mobility issue benefit, but the company will also look more attractive to clients or customers with disabilities.

Q: Do you expect any problems getting to and from work on time?

A: I would like to say no but I use Access Calgary to get around.  If the hours are 9am to 4pm, I can book a ride to arrive at 8:45am and leave at 4:15pm. The difficulty is that they have a twenty-minute window and are greatly affected by bad weather and traffic.  It can mean that I need to adjust my timesheet depending on what time I arrive and leave.  It will work well if you're willing to be flexible about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment