Monday, November 3, 2014

Accommodation in the workplace (part 3)

Q: How long will it take you to finish the same tasks?

A: It all depends on what the task is and what's required to complete it.  Personally, working on webpages takes me a day and a half.  A Power Point presentation takes a few hours.  I want to take the time and do it right the first time.

Working with the home business in Bragg Creek, I realize that I need more time to finish tasks, so I like working on long-term projects where I have more time.  I know that working in an office where tasks need to be done quickly isn't the best fit for me.  It helps when your abilities match up with what you're interested in but it does not always work out that way.  Maybe you can arrange with your company to pick out a few tasks from the complete job description so other employees can focus on the other key responsibilities.

Q: How would you communicate with someone who is having trouble understanding you?

A: People usually need a few conversations with me before they start feeling comfortable with my style of communication. I like to know if someone is not able to understand what I'm saying instead of nodding along. When someone is having difficulty, I like to repeat the phrase a few times. Then I try and phrase it differently because it may be the words I'm using that are confusing. If they are still having trouble, I type it on the computer. I prefer to use email as my main method of communication at work because I can ask questions clearly and have a written reply.

When you know that you have difficulty with oral communication, have a plan to demonstrate in the job interview how well you can communicate in another manner. Chances are an employer might have worries about this topic, and you're taking the initiative to address those concerns and show you can work within their company.

No comments:

Post a Comment