Monday, November 3, 2014

Accommodation in the workplace (part 4)

Q: What's the best way to approach you if there are issues later on?

A: Let me know where I need to improve and if you have suggestions on how I can do a task better, rather than going back through my work and doing it over.  I like having a job coordinator as a support person because I realize you may have questions about the best way to resolve an issue and we can work with my coordinator for advice or ideas. Because I am the employee, though, I want to be involved in what choices are being made.  Don't leave me out of the issue! Bring it to my attention and then we can talk with my coordinator if we need to.  When we talk about it, I may need time to write out what I want to say so there isn't any confusion.

As an employee, you and the employer need to discuss concerns.  Don't be afraid to ask your coordinator for advice or to be present at the meeting. It helps knowing there's someone on your side, but be the one to explain the issue and your views on it. The coordinator can step in if something needs clarification. Think about using an agency that has experience matching people with jobs. Most offer support to the person and the company when it's needed. Some employees will benefit from daily support, others might need to check in once a month to see how things are going, especially if it's a company's first experience working with an employee with different challenges. The employer or employees might initially feel more comfortable being in touch with an agency.

Q: Are you willing to work at other company locations?

A: Absolutely. I can work wherever it would be helpful for you.

I realize not everyone can work at every location. The company may only be one location or a lot of stores.  If it has several stores, you could ask if there is a location closer to you where the manager is willing to hire you.  There are a lot of different ways to work.  You could even work at home.  It all depends on you, the company, and the tasks involved, as long as people are willing to be more flexible and creative.

To anyone who has a disability and who is looking for work or working: you can do it!  It will be hard at times but don't worry about it, do your best. It will help if you have people who love you, understand your goals, and can support you in whatever you decide. That's what I'm lucky enough to have and I want to thank them from the bottom of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment