Monday, November 3, 2014

A quick note about transportation (part 1)

As mentioned before, I rely heavily on accessible transportation. While growing up with my sisters, it was very hard for me to watch them go out with their friends while I was stuck at home.  Now, it’s hard to meet friends when my outings have to be scheduled.

When my family first lived in Airdrie, there weren't any resources for families with children with disabilities.  Mom thought it was important to have a society that people could turn to for help.  She was part of the founding Board of Directors for the Crossfield, Rockyview, Airdrie, and Balzac (C.R.A.B.) Society for the Handicapped.

During her seven years on the Board of Directors, she helped to establish accessible transportation in Airdrie and the surrounding area. The C.R.A.B. Society for the Handicapped purchased wheelchair-accessible buses to help out busy families. The few buses that were running quickly became busy, saving wear and tear on parents who would otherwise have to drive everywhere. It allowed them to devote more time to their homes and families. I t also provided transportation for senior citizens and adults with disabilities (whether permanent or temporary).

Airdrie has grown a lot but when I lived there, it was much smaller and didn't have a public transit system.  If you didn't drive or it was too far to walk, you couldn't get from place to place in town.  I relied on the same bus driver to take me to and from school every day from when I was two-and-a-half years old until I graduated from high school.  My bus driver remembers when I was about four years old and I threw a temper tantrum and wouldn't quit screaming.  She took me back home and Dad met us at the door.  Needless to say, he was not impressed with me.  It was the only time I ever misbehaved on the bus.  She also loved to bug me all the time about boys. Her biggest challenge was in understanding my speech but with perseverance, she usually got my story!

When I was eighteen, I moved into a group home in Calgary. Because it’s a larger city, it has better public transportation. I generally use Access Calgary, which has accessible buses that pick me up from my house and take me directly to my destination and back.  Access Calgary is designed for people who are unable to easily take the public system. Personally, the weather and sidewalks make it tricky to take transit, and I need to have a ramp to board a bus or c-train.  Access Calgary is the safest and easiest way to get from point A to point B.  It's very nice to get there in one ride rather than making all the bus and train connections; it cuts down on transit time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment