Monday, November 3, 2014

Inclusivity

Here are my thoughts about the subject of feeling left out or feeling included.  I do not know what my life would be like if I did not have Cerebral Palsy. I only know that I am so proud of myself for what I have accomplished, so ignoring my experiences in life, being me, would take away too much.  I realize now that I am not ashamed of my life challenges.  I am a woman who always tries to get more from life.

For a long time, I felt like an outsider with my disability but now I don't feel that way anymore.  What really matters is being happy in life.  When I'm out with family and friends, I feel loved and included.   Some people who I know with a disability want a relationship with a partner and it seems like that is all they want in their life. If I found someone to share my life with, that would be wonderful but it's not the end of the world if I don’t.  I am not waiting around; I am happy being me.

People who know me know I have goals and dreams that I want for my life. My friends make me feel included in everything we do together.  We enjoy each other’s company no matter what we are doing, like going out to a movie or eating supper. But sometimes when I go out around others, there are people who look at me and they ask my friends what I want rather than asking me. That is when I feel the greatest amount of exclusion.  I believe that many people don't know anything about what it means to live with a life challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment