Monday, November 3, 2014

Moving out (part 2)

A couple of weeks later, my mom and I went to the possible group home for an evening. I met the caregiver at the home again, my new roommate (potentially), and the group home coordinator.  We talked about the areas I needed help and how I would continue with PACE during weekdays. There was a house tour and the layout reminded me of Charmaine's house in Lethbridge—the first one she had moved into for university after leaving home—which made it feel more familiar to me.  I could tell by the roommate’s body language that she didn't like change or a new person moving in to her house. The caregiver reassured me that she would accept me in time, but I felt like I was intruding on her territory. 

When I received the funding to move into the group home, I spent the weekend there.  My roommate was out during the day so the caregiver and I went out on our own, but I don't remember much about what we did.  I also needed to buy a new bed set: sheets, a mattress, a frame, everything.  I had been using the bed at my parent's house forever and I asked for a new bed when I moved out.  My new room was unfurnished so I needed the bed and a desk for my desktop computer.

February 5th, 2000 was the big move-in day! I moved all my stuff in, got my room set up, and said goodbye to my family in the same day. It went smoothly and quickly. My family helped me move in and my mom confessed she cried the entire drive home.  I'll confess I didn't shed a single tear about moving out.  Of course I was sad to not have my family around me every day.  It was strange not having my sisters lying on the couch when I arrive home.  It was also scary because my family had been with me since I was born and now they were in Airdrie. I became used to it though and was excited for the independence. I spent my first evening in the group home watching TV with my caregiver in the living room because the TV in my room wasn't hooked up yet.

It took time adjusting to everyone’s schedules and habits. However, it was easier to catch up with friends because most of my friends were living in Calgary. Our meals in the group home were larger and very good; my mom is a good cook but my caregiver lived in the Caribbean so I tried a lot of new dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment