Thursday, October 30, 2014

Working on my own

Steve, the employment coordinator at PASC at the time, was there when I arrived for my first day of independent work. I had already been at my job for a month but it finally felt like the first day of work. He helped me set up and updated me on what happened with Lisa and asked if I needed anything from him.  I said no.  He had already explained my decision to Sharon and she understood. I started feeling like a normal person getting her first paying job and being acknowledged for my work.  I was proud of the decision to go to work on my own and I knew my family and friends were happy for me.

Two and a half years with this company made me realize how significant working with a team can be and how rewarding it was for me as a woman.  I will be forever grateful for the opportunity and the chance I took to venture further on my own.  Companies don't always realize that someone with a disability can do the same job, but might do it differently.  I'm not saying that anyone can do any job and be great at it.  Everyone has different strengths and the goal is to match your strengths with a company.

My co-workers helped me set up my laptop and everything that I needed. They were also very helpful with any other requests I might have.  I enjoyed working there. It was fun and I didn’t feel like I had a disability when I was just involved in my responsibilities at work.  I’m so happy I could start doing it alone, without someone coming in with me everyday.  I always wanted to try being more independent. I would see a lot of people going to work when I was out and about on the handi-bus and I used to wonder if I would ever have a job.   I did and that was a big honor for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment