Monday, November 3, 2014

Moving in with my best friend (part 1)

After completing my diploma, I took a break and spent part of it at Laura's place.  We started discussing how I felt it was time to move out on my own. If my family had the money, my parents could buy me a house and I would live upstairs and have a roommate living downstairs who could support me.  My father could renovate my house to make it accessible and my family would help out with the yard work.  I love this idea and hope that one day this dream will come true.

Laura suggested I consider moving into an apartment in her building.  I could move in with her for a bit until we found another apartment in the same building, and then I could move into the second apartment with a supportive roommate.  We talked about living together, but she was one of my best friends and I didn’t want to ruin our friendship.

At first, I was hesitant because we had discussed this seven years ago when she was living in a different area of Calgary in a different apartment.  My parents didn't approve of the location or the building, so I let it go.  By now Laura had moved into a newer apartment building that was fireproof and near a fire hall. The more Laura and I talked about it, the more excited I became about moving out.  I thought, “Okay I've been in a group home for ten years, it's time for me to get back my independence!”

However, my parents were still hesitant about the apartment fees, how I would receive funding, and how to find the best roommate. It took time and effort to talk my parents into the idea.  Laura spoke with my mom and I wrote her a letter saying how much I loved my parents, didn't want them to buy me a house, and that it was a better match to find an apartment in Laura's building.  Mom was glad I wrote her a letter and my parents started looking into it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment