Monday, November 3, 2014

Moving out (part 1)

We don't know how much time we have on this earth, so I want to spend my time with my loved ones and friends. But this is difficult when you’re reliant on other people; it’s easier when you’re independent. This was one of the reasons I made up my mind to move out of my parents house into a group home when I turned eighteen.

I lived in a group home for approximately eleven years and I was able to go out with friends and have a life of my own. However, there were limitations.  At that time it meant that I was allowed to go out with friends but it was inconvenient because it was necessary to check with my parents and to get permission according to the rules of the home.  Although the group home was a good transition for me, it is better now that I live with my best friend.  There is ample opportunity to enjoy time with my family and friends but I have the freedom to choose when and how I spend my time.

After I graduated from high school, my parents and I began to research my options of living arrangements. As Airdrie didn't have any resources available, we decided that moving from Airdrie to Calgary would be the best move. My parents heard about a group home from a lady who had helped me get into PACE. We wanted to check it out and learn more about it.

I met up with my possible future caregiver and a lady who lived in a different group home.  She was about my age and was also in a wheelchair because of CP. I saw where she was living and had a chance to ask her opinion about living in a group home.  I was already feeling a mixture of happiness and sadness but, after speaking with the lady, my level of excitement grew as I realized my dream was getting closer.  We had already started the process for funding before meeting with her, and it was going along without a problem. I wanted to eventually live in my own place but knew that a group home would be a great stepping-stone for this goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment