Thursday, November 6, 2014

Trip to Mexico (part 1)

Since moving out of my parent’s home, I've taken trips without my family. Laura and I visited Mazatlan, Mexico in 2002 for two weeks. It was my first trip outside of Canada!  We decided on Mexico because there were family friends living there who promised to keep an eye on us.  It helped convince my parents to let us go since they knew they would look after us.

I was nervous before we left because I wasn't sure what to pack and felt I had left packing my suitcase too late.  But then I saw Laura the day before we left and I asked if she was ready for our trip: "Nope, I'm not even packed but don't worry, I'll be ready when I pick you up tomorrow."

As soon as we landed, I immediately noticed attitude differences between Canadians and Mexicans. Most of the Mexicans were extremely, and unexpectedly, willing to accommodate.  I did not expect to be bumped to the front of the line in customs when we departed the plane. I did not expect a cab ride directly to the hotel while everyone else had to wait for a bus that I could have easily taken too.  Our ride took fifteen minutes but everyone else arrived by bus an hour and a half later. The people were much nicer to me than in Canada; it seems like they do not normally deal with people with disabilities since they gave me special treatment.

If the cab was a special treatment, I would hate to see the regular treatment; the driver drove unbelievably fast and didn't stop for anyone! There were no posted speed limits so there was nothing to prompt him to slow down. I was grateful for my seat belt and held on tight to the door handle. Thoughts about being in an accident and having to call my parents were flying through my mind! There were no seat belts in the backseat for Laura but she thought it was all great fun. I also thought it was fun once the ride was over and I was safely out of the cab. Our family friends acted as tour guides the rest of the time, and were safer drivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment