Monday, November 3, 2014

Moving out (part 3)

Two years later, the group home moved into a larger house. The group home coordinator and caregiver showed us our house before we moved in and asked if I wanted the downstairs.  I did want to live downstairs but the half-bathroom down there didn't include a shower.  I would have to go upstairs to shower and then back downstairs which would be too much for me.  I also received my own phone line and that was fun.  A new roommate moved in and she fit in easily; we got along very well.

While in that house, my caregiver went on holidays for three weeks but never returned. She had been my caregiver for about four years and I think she wanted to switch jobs because she did everything on her own, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.  I took it very hard that she left without telling anyone.  When she left for holidays she gave me a big hug and said, “Take care of yourself,” and I knew in that moment that she was leaving.

Over the next two years, our house had five different caregivers.  It was hard because my last caregiver and I had been very close and now I had to live with someone new every couple of months.  Finally, we had a caregiver who looked as if she would be staying longer than a few months.  All of us moved into a bungalow where I could use my wheelchair. 

In the eleven years I lived in a group home, I'd moved three times, had eight caregivers, and had three roommates.  Being in a group home has opened my eyes a lot.  I have nothing bad to say about where I'm living, but as I grow older I want to do more with my life.  My sisters have lives of their own and can do whatever they want. I'm jealous of them.  I had originally planned to stay in the group home for a couple of years, but time passed quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment