Monday, November 3, 2014

Accommodation in the workplace (part 2)

 Q: We want to hire you but we don't have the time to train you.

A: I have had companies explain that they want to hire me but I don't have all the necessary job knowledge. Most people that are hired don’t have all the necessary job knowledge, such as university students.  Most people learn on the job.  My suggestion is to hire someone who can meet all the job expectations, and then hire me to help them out.  Every job breaks down into a variety of tasks and I can perform some of those, allowing the other person time to work on the more complex tasks. It is valuable to work under someone who can pass knowledge on.  In any job, I value learning a variety of skills while working.

If you have a disability, one alternative to the job interview is to ask for an information interview; most employees are willing to sit down with you and talk about their job and their company.  It's a great way to learn about their jobs, their qualifications, and what the company is like.  It also increases your awareness of how you can fit in and makes you more confident in any other interview because you get the practice.

Q: What are your salary expectations?

A: For me, I'm on AISH, which allows me to earn an additional, set amount of dollars per month. If I go over that amount, I lose some of my AISH funding. I wish I could earn the hourly wage but it's not possible right now.

What if the employer isn’t willing to pay a salary?  Then see you! I'm out of here.  Real jobs are for real pay. However, it might be a really great company and job that you still want to pursue. Consider asking about a trial period with the company. It may mean that you have to work harder to show someone you can do a job and without any pay.  It gives the company a chance to see your skills and you earn valuable job experience.  You don't want this period of time to be too long, but long enough that you can learn the job and they can see your performance and then make a decision about hiring you.  Don't sell yourself short: Your time and skills are valuable and you deserve credit for them.  Remember, if someone without a disability offered to work for free, he or she would receive a few strange looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment