Thursday, November 6, 2014

Friends and dating (part 3)

When we weren't at the cabin, we kept in touch on the phone. Eventually Mark and Joseph moved out with another friend into a new house. They held an open house where all their friends were invited, but I could only stay for part of it. One friend started asking Joseph lots of questions about me, if Joseph liked me, if he was going to ask me out, etc. Joseph then called that night to ask me out. We dated for two years. Mark and us did everything and went everywhere together.

I was very much in love with Joseph and we were together as a couple for two years. Over the two years he was sweet and caring. We tried to spend time together on the weekends because I was still living at home in Airdrie and Joseph was in Calgary. He played floor hockey on Saturdays so sometimes I went to watch him play or I met up with him afterwards. After two years together, we decided to break up because I discovered he wanted more than I wanted from our relationship at that time.

Joseph and I stayed good friends.  It worked out that Mark and I started dating and Joseph was dating a friend of Mark's, so we usually double dated.  I started to enjoy my relationship with Mark less as time went by, but Joseph convinced me to stay with him.

At the age of 24, Joseph suddenly passed away from a brain aneurysm.  He was in a car accident a year and a half before he died.  He started having bad headaches a couple of times a day after the accident but they were worsening in the days leading up to his death.

My parents showed up at my house on Tuesday to tell me that Joseph had passed away.  At that moment I couldn't say anything. I was too sad and terribly distressed.  I had visited Mark and Joseph at their house on Saturday and Joseph wasn't looking like his usual self.  I left with the words, "Bye Joseph, I hope you feel better," but in my heart I knew that was the last time I would see him.

When I got home that night I called my mom to tell her that Joseph was very ill and I knew he wouldn't make it, that he would die in the next couple of days.  She kept telling me not to talk that way about him and asked why I had those feelings.  I couldn't explain how I knew. When they told me about his passing, I was devastated because I had been hoping that my thoughts wouldn't come true.  He was one of the few great friends that I had in my life and I still think of him everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment