Thursday, November 6, 2014

Friends and dating (part 2)

Mark was always thinking up new ways to tease me or play a joke.  One time our families were having supper together at my house when I was fourteen.  Mark, Joseph, and I went out after supper, as it was summer and still light outside.  Mark wanted to drink and suggested we go to his house to get drunk.  We couldn't all fit in the small kitchen with three wheelchairs.  Mark was able to open the fridge but couldn't reach the beer.  Joseph and I were waiting outside but Mark yelled, "I need help."

We went inside and I was closest to the fridge so it was my turn to try.  I didn't know if we were allowed to drink but Mark assured me it would not be a problem.  I crawled out of my chair and over to the fridge, stood up, and asked, "Do you want a can or the whole case?"  "The whole case." "But you can't drink that much beer." "You and Joseph are going to help me." I didn't even like beer but I pulled the case out and placed it on Mark's lap.

Mark wanted to go back to our families but I hesitated about getting in trouble.  "Don't worry; it will all be my fault." Mark was quicker in his chair than Joseph and me so he beat us home.  All the adults asked him where he had gotten the beer.  "Shawna wanted some; she took it out of the fridge without asking if she was allowed!"

I entered my house to stares and my father's stern voice, "Shawna Mattinson, why did you take out a case of beer without asking Mark?" I shouted that Mark was a liar, "He was there and wanted me to take it out!"  My dad said how he would have to ground me for a week because this was all my fault.  Mark tried to calm me down but I told him he was a liar again.  I tried to explain what had happened with Joseph's support but everyone just looked at Mark and apologized for my behaviour: "Sorry, we know Shawna very well so you don't have to lie to cover the fact that this is all her fault."

Finally Mark broke down laughing. "I was just joking with you guys, it was my idea." He had no threat of being grounded; everyone just laughed. They had known it all along but took his side to tease me.

1 comment:

  1. A bit unfair joke even if your family was in on it.

    ReplyDelete