Thursday, October 30, 2014

Getting a diploma (part 2)

For many students, federal and provincial student aid in the form of bursaries and loans are a large part of helping to pay for education. However, when I went to get more information about the student aid process, I found that there were many barriers. They wanted documents signed by lots of people, a variety of assessments, and details about my life that most people would never ask.

What was worse was that the government service agent that I was speaking with commented, "People on AISH (Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped) do not qualify for student aid because they are already receiving funding from the government. Why would we give you more?" This statement is unprofessional, insensitive, and uncalled for.  Disability funding from the government is not enough to live on and go to school. Why shouldn't someone with a disability have the same opportunities for further education as anyone else?

I realize that the person that I spoke with is not necessarily the voice of the government but he is representing the government while interacting with people like me every day. He is unknowingly discouraging people from pursuing their dreams of having better lives. People go to school to learn the skills necessary to have a job, and eventually support themselves enough to not need government aid. This is just one example of someone I have met that was disrespectful. I continued on despite this.

During my first months in the Graphic Design program, I had several facilitators from PASC helping me at school. However, it was difficult because they didn’t have the same knowledge about computer science that we needed for class. Thankfully, one of my classmates, Lisa, was really friendly, and we would talk about assignments and class information. I was grateful to have her there with me.  One day my coordinator was with me at school; she and Lisa started talking and decided that Lisa would be a good fit to be my facilitator.  Even though she was not a facilitator previously, PASC employed her to work with me since she was already doing the same assignments as me.

Because it was sometimes hard to stay motivated and productive, I would break the course into smaller goals so it felt more manageable. Breaking the unit into smaller sections also helped me to better understand the concepts. Lisa insisted I take plenty of small breaks to calm my frustrations. Sometimes I found myself stuck on one step but had no one around to ask for help. There were other students and teachers in the computer lab, but they were never in the same program; I had to email the unit's instructor whenever I had a question.

During the program, I used new study techniques: quizzing myself, writing out key concepts, doing open-book tests, and highlighting important parts of the textbook. These techniques helped prepare me for multiple-choice tests. Multiple-choice tests are an easier way for me to show that I understand a concept than written tests. However, the Academy of Learning had a passing grade of 70%, and I sometimes had to repeat the test before reaching it. Every student had three attempts to pass before having to pay thirty dollars for each additional try. Luckily I never had to pay that $30!
It was a huge accomplishment to graduate from the Graphic and Web Design Diploma program in July 2009.  It made me feel like a normal person because it was the first “real” diploma that I had ever received, since my high school diploma was from a modified program.  I felt very proud of myself because I never gave up even when it was really tough.

If I go back to school again though, I’ll pick a program where there is more interaction among classmates and the teacher, even if it is only a weekly classroom session. Part of me wished I had gone to SAIT instead so there would have been more hands-on instruction and less independent learning. I missed the social aspect of high school; I didn't meet anyone else who was doing Graphic Design because it was so independent.

No comments:

Post a Comment