Thursday, October 30, 2014

Getting a diploma (part 1)

The negative experiences I had with working convinced me to be my own boss and reduce differences in services. At the time, I hoped to develop a magazine as a platform for people with disabilities, one that not only added clarity but also included a lighter look at the every day life of a person with a disability.  I wanted to publish stories about people's life accomplishments, take a humorous look at the stigmas that still surround people with disabilities, and have all the features of a regular magazine.  Above all, I wanted to show readers that people are more similar than they are different, with or without disabilities.

I was confident about the content of my future magazine but didn't know anything about publishing.  I decided to visit a graphic services department to see how they could transform my idea into reality.  I spent three days shadowing different people and learned about design, editing, writing, printing, and how to put it all together into one final project. The last day, my mind was made up!  I really loved the design aspect of publishing and what could be done with a computer.  I felt passionate enough that I wanted to go back to school and become a graphic designer.

I started to look into different schools where I could take Graphic Design. However, I would need assistive technology to make the most of the course. The Developmental Disability Resource Centre (DDRC) worked with me to assess my needs and find the best solution, which turned out to be a joystick and laptop (it is easier for me to control a joystick than a mouse).  I received funding to purchase a laptop so I could do my work anywhere I wanted.  I then looked into two different schools: the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT), which offered a five-year program and classes mainly at night; and the Academy of Learning, which was recommended to me by a woman at the DDRC. I decided to pursue the program at Academy of Learning because it was less than a year and the classes were during the day.

Before I could apply to the program, I needed grade 12 English and Math credits. My high school diploma was based on modified program requirements, so I hadn’t yet passed the public curriculum diploma exams.  I spent six months studying for the exams and the experience is nothing but a blur of frustration.  I do remember wanting to give up, and constantly telling myself, "Maybe people were right when they said that I can't have dreams or goals."  I had never given up on anything in my life, so I convinced myself to carry on with my education. After writing the multiple-choice exam, I was scared to hear the results. When I heard that I passed, I broke into tears.  I felt incredibly proud that I was on my way to becoming a graphic designer.

The Graphic Design program was 43 weeks and 28 courses long. It allowed each student to progress at his or her own pace because it consisted of individual study.  I arranged to have extended time limits on my coursework so that I had enough time to understand the material before moving on. I would go to the computer lab at the Academy of Learning during the week to work on the courses.  We needed to do 25 hours of work per week, and could do it either at home or school, but I liked getting out of the house and doing most of it at school. Still, I kept working on my courses at home and did it when I felt most productive—usually after midnight.  I am definitely a night owl.  It also meant I didn't have to deal with commuting in bad weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment