Thursday, October 9, 2014

Beware of exploitation (part 1)

A little note about services for people with disabilities: Because we rely on other people, we’re also sometimes vulnerable. In Calgary, there’s a service called Access Calgary that drives individuals around who cannot drive (I’ll be talking about this service more later on). I usually feel safe on Access Calgary; I ask the driver every time how many stops there will be before I’m dropped off, and I look out the windows to watch where I'm going.

There was one time where I felt like my life was in danger and I had to speak up about it. It was Friday, May 25, 2007, and I was on my way home from school. I kept watching out the window but could tell that the driver of the bus was staring at me in his rear view mirror. I remembered him from the week before; he’d said I was a beautiful lady, and if he were younger, he’d ask me out.

There was another passenger on the bus when I got on, but the driver dropped him off. We were on the way to my house when he made another stop near a retirement complex. He pulled into a parking lot for an empty building and I thought he had missed his turn on his way to pick someone up. He parked the car in an empty lot. I started feeling apprehensive because I had forgotten my phone at home that day. I kept thinking about how I wanted to go home.

Every time I take Access Calgary, they need to strap in my wheelchair for safety, like someone wearing a seat belt. Unlike a seat belt, I can't remove those straps myself; the driver or someone else needs to do it. I can always stand up and get out of my wheelchair but where could I go without it? Even if I asked the driver to let me off here, I had no way of calling someone to come pick me up.

He got out of the driver’s seat, gave me a hug and then he put his hand on my neck and kissed me.  I thought in my mind then that he was going to rape me and I could not get away.  Then he touched my left breast. He started to put his hand inside my shirt and I told him to take me home right now.  He said he wished we had more time; I just looked down and didn’t answer him. Finally, when he brought me home and was unhooking my wheelchair from the bus, he said, “let’s keep this between me and you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment