Thursday, October 23, 2014

Out of high school, into PACE

In my last year of high school, we focused on researching my future. I participated in a work experience at an office, spending my Thursday afternoons and Friday mornings helping as an office assistant. I spent a lot of time researching different schools in different cities. I narrowed my options down to three colleges: Mount Royal, Olds, and Red Deer. At the time, I felt like I wanted to see what college was like. Those three schools have programs for people with developmental disabilities and they were near Calgary. I went for a tour of all three colleges and I sent my application to Mount Royal and Olds. I went for an interview at both colleges.

I was scared and nervous to begin a new life. After all, it had been pretty secure being with the same people for four years. Both colleges said they couldn't help me with my dreams to write a book, but I kept trying because I knew a program existed somewhere for me. I finally found a program called PACE (Participation in Academics and Career Exploration), and I applied after making sure I met the required qualifications. Through PACE, I would be able to look for work and any other goals like writing this book.

PACE is a program to help high school graduates with developmental disabilities transition from high school to future education or work. They help to identify career, work, and education objectives; develop job skills; apply and search for jobs; and provide on-the-job support or set up a study schedule for schoolwork.  PACE received my application and set up an appointment with my parents and me. We discussed the dream of writing my life story and I left feeling hopeful about my future.

At the beginning of the summer, I went to Bow Valley College to see PACE in action.  A Community Resource Worker gave me a campus tour and I saw other individuals in the program working on their academics.  When I left there, I felt good about PACE and knew that it was probably the most suitable program for me. During my four years at PACE, I worked with three Community Resource Workers who helped facilitate community involvement and job opportunities.  My career objective was to be an author; PACE helped get me into writing courses, go to conferences about writing, and find a part-time job while I started this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment