Thursday, October 23, 2014

School (part 3)

From grades one to six, I went to Muriel Clayton School in Airdrie, Alberta.  I was in the regular stream for grade one but part of the way through grade two, it was decided that I should be put into a special education class.  Here, I would receive modified classes and be in a smaller student to teacher environment.  I joined the other students for lunch and recess.  Recess was tough for me, watching all my friends playing on the playground while I was sitting in my wheelchair.  It took time to realize that I was normal, even if I wasn't on the playground with all my friends.

I was lucky to have the same teacher for grades two through eight.  I was smart in my subjects, specifically Language Arts, Social Studies, Math, Spelling, and Reading.  I always wanted to be involved in the regular classes, but I was frustrated and nervous when writing tests.  I had trouble getting ideas out of my head and wasn't able to express them to my scribe during testing.  I did not like being in the modified resource classes because I was always with the same classmates.  I had a big problem with one boy in particular because he never listened.  I had an aide who worked with both of us and this boy would often take much of my aide's time away from me because of his own needs.  Looking back, I understand that he needed more help than I did.

I was also lucky to have the same aide for ten years of my school life; she became my second mom and my friend. She nicknamed me "Sunshine" because I always had a smile on my face.  I wasn't fond of her the first time we met because she was a new face who was coming into my life.  Sometimes we didn't get along and I wished she would leave me alone, but she never gave up on me.  She was there when I asked for help and willingly granted my requests for independence.  She will be in my heart forever; I miss her everyday and I love her very much.  In grade 4, I started participating in regular classes again, to see if I could keep up with the other kids.  I was scared to be back and felt like an outsider.  In regular class I would hold back from being involved with the lessons or other classmates.  I was friendly with the students but always on the sidelines.

No comments:

Post a Comment