Thursday, October 2, 2014

Getting around (part 4)

Another activity that I tried out is swimming. During elementary, Susan was a competitive swimmer and I attended her swim meets to cheer. I wanted to do everything she did so it didn't take long before I was trying out swimming too. I started taking lessons to try out for the Special Olympics. Even before I entered the water, I wore an inflatable ring around my waist to see what I could do.  My swim teacher would ask me to walk in the pool at the end of the lesson and it was easier to move in water than on land. It wasn't scary to fall but I had trouble keeping my head above water and getting back in position after falling. My favourite part of the lesson was at the end when I could choose to sit in the hot tub and relax.

I learned and developed strokes until I was competing in Special Olympic swim meets and doing pretty well, considering I had to wear a life jacket and ring around my neck to keep my head up!  I would compete in all categories but backstroke was my favourite.  My teachers and aides would come and cheer me on.  It was great encouragement to have them there watching me.

Our pool swim team was invited to participate in the Special Olympics and I kept going back to compete.  There was a period of time when I wasn't allowed to compete due to revised regulations about athletes with CP and Down's syndrome.  A certain percentage of these athletes have a condition where the vertebrae in the neck aren't properly aligned.  This results in a higher possibility that they can suffer damage in certain sports that stress the neck and upper spine like diving, butterfly stroke, soccer, etc.  Before being allowed to compete, these athletes must have x-rays and talk with physicians to understand all possible risks.  Today athletes with CP can compete because of a second regulation revision.

Looking back at all the physical training I've gone through, from walking to golfing, going to the bathroom alone, and driving my wheelchair, I’ve proven that I can do many of the same activities as my sisters, just in another way. I have been in overwhelming physical training programs and find more challenges daily.  I know that the vast majority of the population never reaches the same level of skill and control in the execution of these exercises as I do.  I think many people, if not most, don't consider these exercises an accomplishment, but they are an incredible success for someone with CP: the result of hard work and lots of effort. 

When the doctors told my family what I could never do, they were giving us the worst-case scenario. In reality people with CP do experience the worst-case scenario; I am fortunate to be one of the lucky ones.  I have charted out a course for my life and refuse to give up on the goal of walking without people noticing that I have CP.  Not only can I see myself walking, but also running and jumping.   Life is full of possibilities and I keep moving forward through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment