Thursday, October 23, 2014

Searching for work (part 2)

My work at Nevada Bob's was mostly behind the scenes; I was responsible for preparing the merchandise for customers. I would unpack and sort products we received, checking the purchasing documents to ensure we were receiving what we needed. I would price items and use the computer database to maintain inventory. The hardest task I had was to place the price and size stickers on clothing and shoes. They needed to be in the same specific place, but sometimes I would accidentally put it in the wrong spot or not be able to peel it off the sticker sheet. Luckily, they were easy to peel off when I misplaced them. It wasn't very often but I also helped customers find what they were looking for in the store. I spent my breaks eating a snack or going outside for sunshine.

Although I usually worked in the back room, the other sales assistants would come and go, stopping to talk with me. I t was an amazing atmosphere to spend my time and the staff were positive-minded, friendly, and fun to work with.  My worker originally came with me the first week to make sure it would be a good match for me.  Once we realized how easy it would be for me to work independently, she dropped by every other week to check that it was still going well.

After nine months of being a valued team member, I received disappointing news that management was changing over. The new management was unable to offer me the same terms of employment.  I was sad to be leaving because I had enjoyed working there.  On the other hand, the store had hired new employees after me, and it was hard to see them earning the regular wage. I started to see the news as an opportunity to earn more than a bus pass for my shifts.  I hoped to find another job as challenging and rewarding as Nevada Bob's.

No comments:

Post a Comment