Thursday, October 9, 2014

Beware of exploitation (part 3)

Mom called after Susan left. The next evening, we called the police. They showed up at 11pm for a statement; my friend and Susan were with me for it.  Everyone kept saying how I needed to speak up against what he did or he would think he could continue to get away with it.

The next Friday, not only did I pass my exam, but my mom and I also went to see a family friend who was a counsellor. Mom asked me how I was feeling on Saturday and I said I felt a little better. In the end, the case ended up in court but the bus driver never showed. He received 124 days in jail because of it.  Now I'm happy that I took it to court because I bet I wasn't the only person he’d hurt. I’m glad I could speak out about it.  I am much better and feel safe again using Access Calgary.

This event has opened my eyes a lot about who I can trust and who I can’t. There are a few men in my life that I can trust like my dad and my two brothers-in-law, and a really good friend of mine. I hope they know how lucky I am to have them.

After what happened to me, I urge people to come forward and tell others if this ever happens to you. Don’t be ashamed if it happens; it wasn’t your fault. I’m lucky that the bus driver didn’t do anything else, but in the back of my mind, I wonder what would have happened if I’d kept my mouth shut? That’s why it’s important to be aware of what’s going on when you’re using these kinds of services. Carry a cellphone with you at all times.

It is especially hard for people with disabilities who have no voice to speak up. But it’s really empowering to stand up for your rights. Talk to people who you’re comfortable with, like a counsellor or your parents. They will support you through this rough time.

Sometimes I’m still afraid of going on handi-buses, because of what happened to me. I don’t feel safe. But I’m getting better because now they have cameras on the bus in the front and the back. That makes me feel a little better, but not a whole lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment