Thursday, October 23, 2014

Searching for work (part 3)

I thought finding another retail job would be easier because I now had experience. Like before, though, it was a couple of weeks before I found one; most companies weren't hiring or weren't interested. Finally the manager of a Coles bookstore downtown sounded interested. We proposed the idea of a six-month work experience.  It sounded like a great fit because it was still retail and I enjoyed reading. She accepted our proposal and I started working there three days a week. However, this work experience was without pay, without even a free bus fare. This made me frustrated because I knew it wasn’t fair, but I went along with it anyway for the experience and knowledge. Also, I didn’t know what I wanted to do yet, so these were learning experiences for me. At the end of six months, the manager and us agreed to review my performance and discuss a wage.

Like at Nevada Bob's, my worker was with me for the first two weeks and I worked independently after that. My job was to sort and shelve new books. The store was on two levels; I couldn't reach the other floor where we kept some non-fiction sections because there was no elevator. The back room at Coles was also too small and cramped for me, so my friendly coworkers arranged the books on a cart at the back of the store.  When I wasn't sure where a book belonged, I would check the ISBN in the computer, and write down the location.  After a couple of weeks, I had it down pat!  My mom made me a book bag to keep at the front of my wheelchair so I could carry more than one book at a time and didn't have to make so many trips.

No comments:

Post a Comment