Monday, September 29, 2014

When people look at me, what do they think?

When people look at me, do they think that I'm not able to have a life for myself because I have a disability? Do they think that I don't understand how life works in the big world? That's why when I hear the word "no," it makes me feel like I have to show people that I am a normal person like anyone else. I want to show everyone that I am not sitting around, feeling sorry for myself. Sometimes I do wish that I didn't have CP, but I can't do anything about it. I hope this book will help people overcome the barrier and begin understanding people with disabilities.

When I was born, the doctors said I was too small and likely wouldn’t survive.  If I did survive, they said I would never learn much. I would always need specialized care and I would never be independent.  Walking was out of the question, and there was no guarantee I would survive long enough to try.  Of course, falling in love, working, playing, and making life long friends could only happen in my parents' imagination.  Dreams and goals were also out of the question; the doctors assured my family that my brain was too small and would never have the capacity for such abstract thought.  Even recognizing members of my family would be beyond my abilities.  At seven months old they said I had cerebral palsy (CP), damage to my brain, and quadriplegia affecting all four limbs. Some people use the word "gimped" to describe me; to them, it is synonymous with "stupid".  I hear a lot of harsh words: retard, handicapped, slow, useless, and every other name imaginable. As I grew, I learned that despite those labels, I was like anyone else who had a dream or a goal.

Having a disability does not define who I am in this world. Who I am is a determined woman, a family member, a graphic designer, and a writer. I have dreams and goals like anyone else. Yes, I've had to adapt to my circumstances but I can do the same things as many of you can, just in a different way.  My disability doesn’t hold me back from what I want out of life. So whenever I hear someone tell me, "You can't do that because of your disability," it motivates me to show everyone that I can.

I believe my life has little to do with having cerebral palsy.  On the other hand, it has everything to do with hope, strength of character, morality, and happiness.  I have accomplished many different physical things in my life that were not anticipated, such as moving from my knees to standing, completing the manoeuvre on the toilet, and driving a wheelchair.  The steps involved are similar to a child first learning to walk. For me, it was a natural progression.

No comments:

Post a Comment